In the Middle School, all students are exposed to music, theatre, and dance in ensembles and in Performing Arts classes.
In the fifth and sixth grades, all students take the same classes. In the seventh and eighth grades, students begin to specialize and explore a specific performing arts area in more depth. In addition to the offerings below, students may choose to dance as a Fitness/Athletics option or be part of a cast or crew in the Middle School play or musical.
Performing Arts are also part of the Middle School curriculum through “plug-in” interdisciplinary classes in which Performing Arts teachers engage students in their other subject areas. In the Middle School, the Performing Arts program prepares students for the more specialized and intensive courses in the Upper School, and it offers students an appreciation of the skills and excitement of performing.
- Grade 8 Workshop: Step It Up: Dance Composition and Performance
- Grades 5-8: Private Music Lessons
- Grade 5: Theatre Productions
- Grade 5 Workshop: Creative Movement
- Grades 5 and 6 Ensemble: Chorus
- Grade 6 Workshop: Music
- Grade 6 Workshop: Theatre
- Grade 6 Workshop: Dance
- Grades 6, 7, and 8: Theatre Productions
- Grade 7 Workshop: Music Composition
- Grade 7 Workshop: Costume Design & Playwriting
- Grades 7 and 8 Ensembles: Chorus
- Grades 7 and 8 Ensembles: Ukulele Ensemble
- Grades 7 and 8 Ensembles: Keyboard Ensemble
- Grades 7 and 8 Ensemble: Instrumental Chamber Ensemble (Audition required)
- Grade 8 Workshop: In the Director’s Chair: Directing and Acting Workshop
- Grade 8 Workshop: Wild Styles: Acting Across History and the World
- Grade 8 Workshop: Soundtracks and Scores: The Music of Film
- Grade 8 Workshop: Introduction to Technical Theatre Design
- Grade 8 Workshop: Step It Up: Technique and Performance